Located in Baltimore, the campus consists of 71 acres with almost 6 million gross square feet of space in 65 buildings.

HISTORY

1807
The Maryland General Assembly chartered the College of Medicine, now called School of Medicine, in 1807; it is now the nation’s oldest public medical school.

1812
In 1812, the Maryland General Assembly rechartered the College of Medicine as the University of Maryland and expanded its mission.

1824
The forerunner of the law school, the Maryland Law Institute, now called Carey School of Law, was opened in 1824.

1840
The world’s first dental college, the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, now called School of Dentistry, was chartered in 1840.

1841
The following year in 1841, the Maryland General Assembly chartered the College of Pharmacy, now called School of Pharmacy, making it the fourth oldest pharmacy school in the nation.

1889
In 1889, Louisa Parsons, a colleague of Florence Nightingale, established the School of Nursing, one of the nation’s oldest formal nursing training programs, at the University of Maryland.

1918
To promote and enhance research, scholarship, and advanced study, the Graduate School opened in 1918.

1961
In response to growing social and cultural needs, the School of Social Work opened in 1961.